Thursday, June 5, 2014

Strawberry Chia Smoothie Bowls

True love. And it all started with a blender.


I can’t exactly explain to you why, but after my freshman year of college, I desperately wanted a blender in particular. I was on a full, unlimited meal plan my first year, so there was really no need to bring any other kitchen appliances. The only thing I brought was two bowls, a spoon, a fork, a knife, and a cookie sheet. And let me tell you, that cookie sheet did not go underutilized. There was a 10-person waitlist to use the only cookie sheet on the floor.

Yes I kid you not. A 10-person waitlist.


So after I moved out of my freshman dorm and my cookie sheet had a hole burned out of it in an attempt to make flan, I was determined to renew my love of cooking by (1) getting a suite with a kitchen and (2) purchasing enough cookware for as little as possible. Thankfully, both things happen, and I ended up with the love of my life, a tiny $20 personal blender from Target, complete with her own sippy-top lid. She was a beaut, who eventually had her motor burned out in an attempt to make pea pesto, but was nonetheless a staple of my sophomore year.

May she rest in peace.


Anyways, both my old and new blenders have made it possible for me to create one of my favorite breakfasts: smoothie bowls. I never really fell in love with the whole smoothie-from-a-cup thing. I made them because they were quick to assemble and quick to drink. With smoothies, I never actually tasted the individual fruits I was putting in (the drawback of blending them to a pulp). It just kind of had a general “fruit” flavor.

The smoothie bowl has revolutionized the smoothie game for me. Just sprinkle some cut up fresh fruit into the smoothie, some chia seeds, and whatever nuts you like, pop in a spoon, and the smoothie is instantly transformed. Just like magic.You can even add the smoke and the glitter if you want.



The best part about these is they are so easy to customize. If you don’t feel like having chia seeds then just add something else! I make these 3952395 different ways all the time, but this recipe just so happens to be one of my favorites.

Strawberry Chia Smoothie Bowl

  • 5-6 strawberries, hulled and halved
  • 1/2 overripe banana, frozen, peeled, and sliced
  • 1/4 cup frozen mango
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • Handful spinach
  • Chia seeds
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Chopped strawberries and other fruit for garnish
In a blender, add strawberries, mango, spinach, and almond milk. Blend until smooth. If the blender cannot blend the fruit, add a splash of almond milk. 

Pour smoothie into a bowl. Garnish with pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and chopped fresh fruit. 


Grab your spoons and experience the revolution!




No comments:

Post a Comment