Monday, June 23, 2014

Brussels Sprout and Tempeh Toss with Honey Sriacha Sauce

Let’s talk about the vegetable known as the Brussels sprout.


When I was a kid, I loathed them. Being a traditional German, my grandfather used to love them in the traditional German way: boiled with salt and pepper. Something about a thing that looked like a small cabbage boiled until the skin turned a faint yellow was not appealing to me. Plus, have you ever smelled overcooked Brussels sprouts? It’s not pretty to say the least.

As they say in the commercials, “there must be a better way.”


That’s when my dad discovered the beauty that is Brussels sprouts fried with pancetta. And let me tell you, those things legitimately disappeared. Like they had some sort of magic that made them teleport from the plate into my belly. I could legit eat a whole bowl of those in one sitting. I am unfortunately not making this up.

However, once I became a pescatarian, I had to figure out other ways to eat what has become far and away my favorite vegetable. I figured out so many way to roast, shred, and toss Brussels sprouts to fit my diet. All of these recipes will hopefully make it onto the blog at some point. However, this one is probably one of my absolute favorites. I always have sriracha and honey around, sriracha because what college student doesn’t have sriracha and honey from my mom to feed into my tea addiction.

Seriously, a full cabinet of tea, friends. No joke.


This recipe is simple, easy, full of protein from the tempeh, and delicious. I make this (or a variation) at least once a week. I am not lying if I didn’t tell you that you will inhale these Brussels sprouts. The “stir fry” gets more flavor the longer it sits in the sauce, so how about you do that (and do not burn your mouth on four Brussels sprouts like I did). The wait, I promise you, is so worth it.

Brussels Sprout and Tempeh Toss with Honey Sriacha Sauce

  • 1 package of tempeh, cubed
  • 10 oz Brussels sprouts, halved
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 1.5 tbsp sriracha
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet (with aluminum foil for a quick cleanup), toss the tempeh and Brussels sprouts with olive oil and generous amounts of salt and pepper and spread them out so they evenly cover the surface of the pan. Roast in the over for 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the tempeh becomes golden brown and the Brussels sprouts become tender.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey and the sriracha. Once the Brussels sprouts and tempeh finish in the oven, toss them in the honey and sriracha mixture, making sure all pieces are coated. Let sit for 15 minutes until the flavors are absorbed. Serve with plenty of brown rice or farro.


Chomp Chomp.

No comments:

Post a Comment